Thursday 6 October 2011

Day 06: Genre Talk: Creepy Places to Vacation or Party!


During this time of year I think about all the creepy places I’d visit if I were rolling in the ‘doh. There’s so many neat and interesting places in the world people don’t even think about. So I’m going post a Top 6 list of all the ones I really wanna go to when I can afford it.

1- Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. I wanna go so bad! Before Katrina hit, New Orleans was a booming vacation spot with rich history. It’s still an awesome place to visit. The Hurricane didn’t kill the spirit of the place, and the people have been rebuilding ever since. Mardi Gras still happens on Fat Tues, and people live it up in style! Here’s the official website for Mardi Gras 2012: http://www.mardigrasday.com/

2 - Also while I’m there I’d visit the French Quarter and St. Louis Cemetery so I can pay tribute to Marie Laveau: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Laveau

She was a famous voodoo priestess and many come to pay her homage. Marie Laveau is believed to be interred in the Glapion family crypt. It’s like a pilgrimage for some. St. Louis Cemetery is the name of 3 cemeteries in New Orleans, and they all have above ground vaults that were constructed in the 18th and 19th century. They are just gorgeous to look at. I’ve wanted to walk through the graveyards since I first laid my eyes on pictures of them when I was 18. Graveyards are such peaceful places.

3 - The Catacombs of Paris France is an underground cemetery that’s been around since 1788. It’s basically wall to wall bones, tunnels that go on for miles and miles. When people were dying of disease and plague, they ran out of space to bury everyone. So they stored the bones underground. It stretches to roughly 300kms but only some of it is open for public viewing. I love bones, and bet it would be a fantastic place to visit.

4 - Salem, Massachusetts, USA. Yes, I know everyone puts this on their list. But my husband is actually from Massachusetts, so I’d like to see more of it. It is a notorious spot for the witch trials. And being pagan, I like to go to places like this and get a little history lesson. Now this place plays up the spooky all year around, considering the Salem Witch Trials were held here. Over 150 people were accused of being witches and imprisoned for their crimes. 19 were eventually convicted of being witches and hung, but you’d confess too if people were torturing you. Wouldn’t that just suck? It’s also said that people were accused of doing the most ridiculous things. So you could have been hung just for being prettier than someone else, or having your cows give more milk than someone else. People can be dicks folks.

5/6 - Sonora Witchcraft Market, Mexico City, Mexico. Since I plan to visit Mexico some day during Dias del los Muertos (Days of the Dead Festival) I think it would be cool to walk through the stalls, tightly packed with witches, and see what they have to offer me. Maybe I’d get my fortune read for $10 telling me I won’t be broke forever, maybe I’d buy a strange skull to add to my collection. Maybe I’d get a very unhappy looking exotic pet, like a frog or a snake, that’s been baking in the sun all day. From what I’ve read, the market is huge, and spans the course of a couple city blocks. But if you need “spiritual stuff” this is the place to find it. Rare herbs, strange spices, you name it. And when I was done shopping I could dance and celebrate the biggest festival in Mexico, painting my face with a happy skull and decorating graves with colourful flowers. I think it sounds like a great time.

And there’s my list folks! There’s more I could add, but I’d be at it all day. What would you add to the list?

4 comments:

  1. I really want to visit Salem one October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Halloween fun I like to go to Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio for HalloWeekends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choices. I am hoping to visit New Orleans someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanna spend a night in Poenari Castle sometime. I figure if anything is gonna bring the spooky, it'd be sleeping over at Vlad the Impaler's crib. :D

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! Everyone loves comments! How will I know you visited without a comment? Just be respectful please.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...