Saturday 5 May 2012

MMM: Kweeny TRANSFORMS

So the other night I was up into the wee hours of the morning, and decided to update the blog a little. I added a new banner, changed the layout, and I'm wondering if I should do some more. Either way, I like how things look. I needed a bit of a change. Change is always good.

Speaking of changes, monsters are notorious for transformation. Not all monsters have a transformation scene, but I will confess, my favourite monsters tend to. We all go through changes in our lives, some of us drastic ones, and they can leave one feeling monstrous at times. Death in the family, moving to a new city, (in my case country), getting married, having children. Some changes are more brutal. Murder, madness, sickness. But some changes are subtle and harder to spot. Horror gives us an outlet for the things we fear. And we can fear change sometimes. We fear our lives being ripped apart from us, being out of our control. We fear loosing ourselves to our darkness.


So I thought it would be wicked if I collected a few of my favourite monster transformation scenes and showed you guys. Because I LOVE a good transformation. Movies can give a solid form to concepts that are complex and frightening.

Let me BLOW your freaken mind dudes with my...

TOP 3 EPIC TRASFORMATION SEQUENCES! 


Let's get this party started with John Carpenter's THE THING. And I'm talking the original, not the recent remake that's made with too much CGI. UGH.  I love this movie so much. Watch this clip, and tell me that's not one nasty transformation scene! This is one of many the film contains. 


Next is the slow, terrible transformation of Seth Brundle. It's deviously captivating in Cronenberg's movie THE FLY. One mistake in an experiment can cost your humanity. The creature he becomes is pretty hideous, just check out the ad. I actually prefer this to the original movie, because of how utterly horrible it all is.



This movie is AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON and it has what I think is quite possibly the best werewolf transformation scenes ever. I'm serious. What's wonderful about it is it's all done in one take, no CGI BS, and is slow and gruesomely painful to watch. I know there are other great werewolf transformation scenes out there -I love my werewolves-, but this one is the top tier for me. Your mileage may vary. (Sadly I couldn't get one without music to post. But I do think the song choice for this is fantastic.)

I know there are plenty more good scenes out there. But I think these three really take the cake. Perhaps you'd like to share a few with me in the comments? I always love hearing from readers. Also, tell me what you think of the new look! 

1 comment:

Feel free to leave a comment! Everyone loves comments! How will I know you visited without a comment? Just be respectful please.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...