Thursday 4 October 2012

HHMMM: Day 5

I'm slowly picking away at the pile of horror movies I need to watch for THE MADNESS marathon. I decided today to try out a poll on my fanpage. See what sort of classic monster people thought I should watch a movie about. I got some weird answers, a lot of them not even on the actual poll! Come on people, it's not hard to put your suggestion in the poll! When someone posts a poll, you respond on the poll itself or it doesn't get counted! *sigh*



In the end the winner by a long shot was Dracula. So I finished the night with the Prince of Darkness. But before that, I got a few other films in:

I Spit On Your Grave (101 mins/1978)

Kweeny's Rating: 3 out of 5

Summary: This is not a badly done film, but the subject matter leaves a bad taste in your mouth. It's about a woman who is raped repeatedly and gets revenge on her rapists. It's a simple plot, but nothing about this film is simple. It's brutal and not for everyone. I really did feel like I needed a shower after, like my friend and fellow teammate Eric Polk suggested when I said I was watching it.


Ancient Mysteries: Witches (43 mins/2006)

Kweeny's Rating: 3 out of 5

Summary: It's a short little documentary on the history of witches. While I shouldn't expect too much from a short documentary like this, I did wish they didn't rush through things and spent more time exploring the topic. They did of course touch on the burning times, and most of the documentary really was about that. They only briefly brought up witchcraft today, and talked about Wicca. Documentaries count for points, even if I am only getting a half of one for this. I needed a pallet cleanser after I Spit On Your Grave. 


C.H.U.D (88 mins/1984)

Kweeny's Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5

Summary: Bear said he'd never seen this one so I figured, why not? Let's watch ALL THE THINGS! It's about homeless people in NYC getting eaten and turned into these toxic creatures that live underground in the tunnels/sewers. Think Toxic Avenger, but less avenging and funny. They play this all completely straight. And while I didn't have high expectations for the film, it wasn't that bad for 80's shlock.


Dracula (75 mins/1931/Black and White)

Kweeny's Rating: 4 out of 5

Summary: Bela Lugosi stars as the classic Prince of Darkness DRACULA. There is something beautiful and haunting about his performance  something you don't see a lot of today in film. His expressions are so intense. This is one of my all time favourite portrayals of Dracula, because Bela's performance is just superb. He doesn't need as many trappings as other films have given him. And maybe the black and white itself adds something to film. Gives it an otherworldly quality I like. I think it was a fine movie to end my day with.




And that finishes off my day today. I think I'm doing pretty good. Five days in and I've watched 14 films already! Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! Everyone loves comments! How will I know you visited without a comment? Just be respectful please.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...