Monday 5 January 2015

Kweeny Reviews: Helix

Welcome to 2015 gang! 

So I wanted to start the New Year off right by not only dressing up as Krampus on New Years Eve, but by watching some really awesome horror-sci-fi. Someone suggested I give Helix a try, and I'm sure glad they did. I just finished Season one on Netflix. (As for the Krampus costume, if you'd wish to see the costume I made, I posted the pictures to my instagram here. I do enjoy my monsters and demons, and I might have a slight obsession with embodying them.)


As for Helix, I wasn't prepared to be impressed with a Syfy original series. I mean, these are the same people that brought us such wonders as Sharknado right? The very same people? And don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good shlocky bit of cheese sometimes with my horror, but Helix is very much not that kind of show. The writing is tight, the characters are rich and engaging. And the virus they are dealing with on the show was actually terrifyingly convincing!

Dude, you got a little something in your eyes...oh nevermind.

So the story is this: A specially engineered super-virus is created in a secret lab out in the frigid arctic. A nice call back to the classic horror sci-fi The Thing. Only it's more like The Thing mated with a Zombie outbreak and made a beautiful abomination baby to make the shows setting. The CDC is sent to this base because whatever weird shit they were experimenting with for years and years is unleashed and people are getting infected. Scientists are getting sick, and their boss Mr. Hatake is not pleased. As the show progresses we get this marvelously complex plot that at times made me nostalgic for shows like the X Files. And trust me, you will be too if you were a huge fan of shows like that too. I'd go on about the story but I don't want to spoil too much for you. It's a very human story while dealing with things like genetic mutations, ideas about immortality, zombie monster hunting moments and even shadow government issues. Sold yet?

Don't cry Hatake, it only makes me love you more.
It's a beautifully written show, with great acting, nice special effects, the whole bit. This show is tight. If you are a fan of stuff like the X Files, The Thing, and zombie-virus-scariness, You'll love this series. It's damn good. Now I gotta figure out what next to watch, because my year has only just begun...

Come on 2015. Keep on impressing me. This is a good start TV wise. Bring on the horror!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! Everyone loves comments! How will I know you visited without a comment? Just be respectful please.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...